Thursday, November 1, 2007

I love El Raval

I am TOTALLY in love with my neighborhood. It's got so much of life.

I got home tonight after teaching my last class of the week(!) and as I was walking up to my door I noticed two people in the plaza across from me had taken all their clothes off and were admiring each other's parts... OK, they were drunk, but still and all we are in the middle of the city... Whatever, they were totally involved in each other so it didn't bother me.

Then I had a fairly quiet evening, preparing for my trip, cooking all the food that I had left so it wouldn't spoil, etc and I heard old fashioned do-wop outside...

I opened my window and there was (is, they're still there) a group of young men in the same plaza singing old lovely songs to a group of people dressed up for Halloween. There are two nuns, one in a hot-pink blazer... I don't know what that's about... there's a guy with an afro (I think he's white) with a comb sticking out of it...

It's typical do-wop, I just love it. They're actually really good. They've got the harmonizing and the lyrics, oh god, it's so great. Now a bunch of people have started 'singing stand by me'. I love love love that song.

Why must I be a teenager in love...
In the jungle, the quiet jungle, the lion sleeps tonight...
and so on...

WOW, they're really good. What a great night! I'm so happy...

No comments: